Gerry designed the roof lines in the front and back of the house with different heights on different planes instead of one large peak, to give it visual interest.
We started with the roof peaks at the back of the house since they get the most sun and the construction paper is only supposed to be exposed to the weather for 6 months max.
Gerry made a paper template to help me layout and cut the angels in each board. I laid out the siding on a large table inside the great room....with Fred's help, of course.
After we sided both ends shown here, we started the next peak up and to the right.
I finally got this board cut correctly on the third try. Not because of the notched end--which was a perfect fit each time--but the overall length was too short the first two times.
Yeah, it's ready to hang!
Once we reached the roof line to the left each board had to be cut at an angel on both ends. I had Gerry test fit each board then used it as a template to cut the next one up
Once the sides were done, we started working on the shingles around the circular vent.
To lay out the shingles for the round vent we traced the vent, used geometry to find the center (I remembered the basic concept but Gerry knew how to use it!), then transferred the circle to the shingles using a large compass, one layer at a time. It took much longer to do the vent circle that any other area.
I also decided to paint the shingles before hanging them because it's such a pain to paint the grooves between the shingles once they're on the wall.
Siding is hung and the shingles around the vent are done.
Now it's time to paint it all. I used both the scaffolding and the ladder jacks to reach across the areas to paint--3 coats!
No comments:
Post a Comment
Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.